This past month was almost all about the draft, with the annual event providing one last NBA hurrah before the big faux pas.
A lockout is around the corner and resolution is probably at least a few cities away, meaning these latest memories will have to last a while for those of you who are so hardcore that you’re used to tracking free agency and summer league here in the dead of summer. In this particular corner of the country where relocation is such a serious concern, Jimmer-mania relocated from Provo, Utah to Sacramento and Kings fans certainly hope his presence can help keep the team from moving next summer.
Fredette’s arrival sparked the sort fanfare that’s worth witnessing for posterity alone. I did just that over the weekend, tracking the BYU sharpshooter who was taken No. 10 overall at the airport one day and a Sacramento mall the next for the story that is linked below. Here’s the video from those events, and a throw-in vid from his brother, TJ, singing about the journey of one of the most hyped players in the history of the game.
Here’s the latest linkage from SI.com, just in case anyone missed these stories the first time around. Since that doesn’t make for the most exciting post, I might as well share this clip of the 2002 fight between Shaq and Brad Miller on here just as I did on Twitter. The Miller story below reminded me of this melee, and it’s more than worth the four minutes of your life to take a peek back at the big fella going crazy.
One of the most dominant big men to ever play the game retired this week, of course, so there’s a lighter look at Shaq below as he discusses his incredible career with Jackie MacMullan.
* (June 4) Rockets center Miller reveals he had microfracture surgery
* (June 3) Walsh takes high road as Knicks’ uncertain steering continues
* (June 3) Brandon Knight confident in ability to play point guard in NBA
* (June 2) Latest news as coaching carousel continues to spin around the league
* (June 2) NBA lacking logic in CBA talks
* (May 27) McHale reaches agreement to become Rockets coach
* (May 26) Hall of Famer West eager to give Golden State a taste of success
* (May 25) Mock Draft 2.0
* (May 25) Lakers name Mike Brown new head coach